Sunday, July 27, 2014

Plan: Angle or Bust

Just in case you were wondering if the trip has prematurely ended and I've settled here in Madison, have no fear. Tomorrow, I set off for the northernmost point in the 48 contiguous states.

The proposed route for the coming week:



Northwest Angle is the little piece of Minnesota that sticks up into Canada. It can be reached by boat, air, driving over the ice in the winter, or by a 20-40 mile stretch of dirt road that crosses into Canada (I've heard different reports on the distance that is unpaved). Guess which way I'm planning to tackle?

The miles will go on fast, 331 miles to Duluth, MN, tomorrow (28th state for scoot). 310 miles via Itasca Lake (Mississippi headwaters!) to Warroads, MN, just south of the border. Then... a 20mph crawl through Canada to a remote town that survives entirely on fishing tourism. It has the last one-room public school in the state. Remote is the least you could say.

Turn south again for a short stay in Fargo, ND, Mitchell, SD, and it's on to the Sturgis party.

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of nice places to settle and Madison would be one of them. I really seem to prefer "college towns". Lots of cultural events, and a huge variety of small shops. bakeries and restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog often. I may not leave a comment always but it sure does make me smile at your drawings and adventures. So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete