Thursday, May 14, 2015

5/14 - Embracing the Unknown

A more metaphorical drawing today.
That, or I found some crazy Alice in Wonderland type potions.

68 miles.

On packing and planning: When embarking on a trip from a place of security, I tend to go crazy trying to predict and plan for every possibility. I wish I could flip a switch to just let go and embrace the unknown, but sometimes it isn't until I'm on the road, already neck deep and in the moment, that I can finally let things take shape as they will.

I'm much more laid back than when I started, but even after a year on the road, leaving a nice soft bed still doesn't come easily.

Took a short joyride to the Texas City Dike. Testing out a new luggage configuration, including this awesome spare fuel bottle from Biltwell (thanks, Otto!). Nearly all packed up to hit the road again.

As I'm about to depart Texas, I can't say thank you enough to everyone who has helped even a little along the way. It's hard not to sound like a broken record, but I can't be grateful enough. Traveling like this wouldn't be possible without the stability and kindness of others. Whether it's a garage, a couch, some mechanical expertise, a shipping address, a meal along the way, or just someone interested enough to have a conversation with a stranger, thank you. The truth is even though I travel solo, I could never do this sort of trip without the support from everyone I've met along the way. I'll never be able to express the amount of gratitude I have.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, when you do something extraordinary it attracts people to you. I could not do what you are doing for many reasons. I really admire what you are accomplishing. It's truly extraordinary and beyond reach for so many of us. I very much look forward to meeting you, sharing a ride, some stories, and making a connection, however brief. I will be grateful when that happens. I will benefit. In the same way that many people whose lives you touch also benefit. So you see, the gratitude is very much mutual. You contribute as much as you receive.

    ReplyDelete